Chairperson: Fred Berckmann, 860-521-0757 Public Relations: Jim Smith, email: email@example.com
Vice Chairperson: Jeff Hutchinson, 203-949-8058 Past Chairperson: Joan Kennedy
Secretary: Liz Farley, 51 Dimock Rd, Coventry CT 06238, Treorai na Gaeilge: Pat Kennedy
860-742-9165, email: firstname.lastname@example.org Auditors: Pam Lang & Bill Connolly
Treasurer: Bill Mayer, 203-265-5581 Delegates: Rosemary Raymond & Cindy Smith
Spiritual Advisor: Deacon John O’Donovan
A “MIGHTY” THANKS TO PV O’DONNELL AND FRIENDS FOR AN EXCEPTIONAL BENEFIT CONCERT!
We had an extraordinary benefit with noteworthy results on January 27 at the Irish American Home Society in Glastonbury. Donegal Fiddler and Comhaltas member PV O’Donnell gathered together a magnificent group of musicians and dancers who donated their time and talent to perform in support of our Curry Seery Branch. Musicians included Comhaltas members Greg Gregonis (flute), and Ox Gara (bodhran). Guests included Will Hare (flute and pipes), Vinny Ringrose (banjo and guitar), and Peter Delaney (guitar). Special student performers were David Delaney (fiddle), and Calley McGrane (fiddle), accompanied by her father John (guitar). Step dancers Nora McHugh, Orla Molloy, and Taryn Gervais shared their exceptional talent and electrified the crowd. All who attended were blessed with song, stories, and humor. Our special thanks goes to PV for the use of his sound equipment. Refreshments provided by concertgoers were greatly appreciated by all during the break. In addition, we would like to express our gratitude to members who donated raffle items. With the help of our many current members, new members and non-members, our benefit was a success! Many people who attended are looking forward to the next concert.
Please look for PV O’Donnell at The Bushnell in Hartford, Sunday, March 17th at 7pm (860-987-5900). He will be performing with Carl Hession (pianist from Ireland), Darren Holden (vocalist from Kilkenny), Joe Derrane (accordion player from Boston), talented step dancers, pipers, and the Connecticut Children’s Choir. Proceeds will benefit the Connecticut Children’s Medical Center.
· The mailing list of current members has been sent and the Treoir magazine should be expected in the spring. Please remember that the subscription year runs January through December and the Membership year runs November through October.
· North American Provincial 2002 Convention April 4-7, 2002 in St. Louis, M0. Watch for details in your mailbox, Treoir Magazine and the St. Louis Irish Arts web site – www.slia.org
REGIONAL UPCOMING EVENTS
Irish-American Community Center, Venice Place, East Haven, CT
à Saturday 3/2: Galway Society Night, 8-12, Guest of Honor - Patrick Lyden from Ballinafad, Co. Galway, featuring “The Pete Kelly Premier Ceili Band”. Donation proceeds will go to The Mary Kelly Fund. Contact Mary Cox 203-248-2794
à Friday 3/15: Direct from Ireland, the musical group “The Full Shilling”, providing dancing from 8-12. Contact Pat Hosey 203-248-1538
à Saturday 3/30: Ceili featuring “Music in the Glen” 8-12. Contact Bill Connolly 203-469-4837
à Saturday 4/27: Ceili featuring “The Pete Kelly Premier Ceili Band” 8-12. Contact Bill Connolly 203-469-4837
Irish American Home Society, 132 Commerce St., Glastonbury, CT 860-633-9691
à Sunday 3/10: Annual Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner 1-5pm.
à Friday 3/15: Corned Beef Sandwich Day 11:30 – 4pm. Mass at St. Peter’s Church, 160 Main St., Hartford, 7pm
à Saturday 3/16: 31st Annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Hartford. 11am
Gaelic American Club, 74 Beach Road, Fairfield, CT
à Friday 3/8: Gala Irish Concert featuring Mick Moloney, Robbie O’Connell, Martin Reilly and friends. Contact Joan Kennedy at 203-393-0377
à Thursday 3/14: Ceili featuring “Ceol na Croi”. Contact Joan Kennedy at 203-393-0377
Ancient Order of Hibernians, John T. Downey Division, 39 South St., New Britain, CT 860-832-8023
à Friday 3/15: Musician Danny Ringrose
à Friday 3/22: Music by “Two for the Road”
à Saturday 3/30: Music by “Two of a Kind”
John Boyle O’Reilly Club, 33 Progress Avenue, Springfield, MA 413-788-8603
à Saturday 3/2: Music by “The Dublin City Ramblers” led by Sean McGuinness. Doors open at 8pm
à Friday 3/15: Mass at St. Michael’s Cathedral, Springfield, 9am, followed by the march to City Hall and the raising of the flag.
à Saturday 3/16: Music by “The Bards” at the Irish Person of the Year Dance. 8pm-12.
à Sunday 3/17: St. Patrick’s Day Parade in Holyoke, 11am. Music by “Shamrocks of Kerry” at the club. 8pm
à Friday 3/22: Music by Chris Henshaw. 8pm
Jonathan Law High School, Lansdale Avenue, Milford, CT
à Friday 3/15: Music by “The John Whelan Band” with special guest Aoife Clancy. 8pm Contact 203-301-0442
*The Traveling Session is a product of our January 20th meeting. Every couple of months, Comhaltas musicians are encouraged to join in sessions, other than ones they currently attend. The New Britain AOH was highlighted in February, and The John Boyle O’Reilly Club is slated for April. The specific date has not been set as of this newsletter, but come enjoy the music and fun in Springfield on Tuesdays at 7:30.
à Sunday, April 14 from 4 - 8pm. Ceili music by the Pete Kelly Premier Ceili Band. $10. For information contact John Droney at 860-521-2696.
· 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month with Eddie Burke and Tom Walsh sponsored by the Irish American Home Society, Glastonbury. Slow Jam starts at 3pm and speeds up 4pm – 6pm. Suspended for the month of March.
· 2nd and 4th Sunday of the month with Eddie Burke and Tom Walsh sponsored New Britain AOH. 4pm – 6pm. Suspended for the month of March.
· Sundays, sponsored by the Playwright, 1232 Whitney Ave, Hamden. 3pm – 5pm. (203-287-2401)
· Tuesdays, sponsored by the Playwright, 1232 Whitney Ave, Hamden. 8pm – 10pm. (203-287-2401)
· Tuesdays, sponsored by the John Boyle O’Reilly Club, Springfield. 7:30pm (413-788-8603).*
· Last Sunday of the month sponsored by the Irish American Community Center, East Haven. 6pm (Pat Hosey 203-248-1538 or Joan Kennedy 203-393-0377)
· Wednesdays with PV O’Donnell sponsored by City Steam Brewery, Hartford. 7:30pm – 10pm.
March Sessions at the Lansdowne Inne Pub and Restaurant in Watertown,
hosted by Eddie Burke. Sundays in March 2-5pm just past the intersection of
Route 73 (Main St) and Davis Street. Contact Terry Sullivan at 860-584-8776.
· First three Wednesdays of the month with John Droney sponsored by Irish American Home Society, Glastonbury. 7pm (860-521-2696)
· Thursdays with Pat and Joan Kennedy sponsored by the Gaelic American Club, Beach Road, Fairfield. 8pm (203-888-4041)
· Fridays with Patti Thomas sponsored by the Irish American Community Center, New Haven. 9:15pm (203-393-0377)
· Fridays with Ginni McCauley at the AOH, 161 Main St., Danbury. 7:30pm (203-748-0055)
· Mondays, Irish Language Lessons with John Feeney, sponsored by AOH, 161 Main St., Danbury (203-748-7701)
· Wednesdays, Irish Language Lessons with David Manning sponsored by the Irish American Community Center, East Haven. 8pm (203-888-4041)
· Thursdays, Irish Language Lessons sponsored by the Gaelic American Club, Fairfield. 7pm (203-933-3673)
· Thursdays, Irish Singing Group “The Curlews” with Bill Connolly sponsored by the Irish American Community Center, East Haven. 7pm (203-469-4837)
· Fridays, sponsored by the Irish American Community Center, East Haven. 7pm Pat (203-481-4033) or Fred (203-288-2948)
If you have an event, class, or article you would like to submit to our newsletter, or if something currently in the newsletter is inaccurate, please notify the secretary. Thank you!
51 DIMOCK ROAD
COVENTRY CT 06238-3012